Thursday, November 30, 2006

Recipe: Gerry Darnaby's Chocolate Cake

Two winters ago, I visited my aunt Sunny's house. Although I don't quite remember the nature of my visit, this cake was pretty hard to forget. Until then, I guess I never really had a good chocolate cake... probably only the boxed cafeteria-esque stuff from bake sales or supermarkets. Apparently, her neighbor, Gerry Darnaby, had baked it as a gift for my cousin, Kimberly. I had a slice, smothered in cream cheese frosting, and it was heaven. Sometimes it really is the simple stuff. It's rather basic chocolate cake... but it's easier than pie (which is actually pretty difficult to get right in my opinion) and it's moist and fluffy. I think the addition of hot water is what does the trick... I read from a Cooks Illustrated article that although egg whites foam readily when beaten, the egg yolks have too high a fat content to foam by itself. But after heating it, the proteins will come together into a decent foam. My theory is that adding heat via water allows more air into the batter? If anyone knows the actual reason, please let me know~

1 c. softened butter (2 sticks)
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. boiling water
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Mix sugar & butter until fluffy.
2. Add eggs, beat, then add buttermilk.
3. Add dry ingredients & beat.
4. Add hot water & beat lightly.
5. Add vanilla. Pour into greased pan.
6. Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes in a 13x9x2" pan
OR bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes in a tube pan.

Cut into 3 layers and frost with favorite cream-cheese frosting recipe.

No comments: